Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sukkot and Cycles

From Leviticus: "When you have gathered the the income of the land, you shall take for yourselves on the first day the fruit of the goodly trees, branches of palm trees, boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook, and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God seven days. For seven days you shall dwell in huts... so that your generations will know that I made the children of Israel dwell in huts when I brought them out from the Land of Mitzrayim" (Lev. 23:33-44).

There is so much to glean in this passage! Gathering, Reaping from the growth of God's land, toil and hard work, Rejoicing, Fulfillment after hard work, remembering through the generations what our ancestors accomplished with God's help after leaving Egypt. The cycle is complete, yet still the wheel turns. Dwelling in a hut, while it is protective from the elements to an extent, is only temporary. We're not meant to live in one permanently. And they had to build these huts, as do we, every year. We have LL Bean and Eddie Bauer if we want a tent, but that's not the kind of dwelling we are permitted during Sukkhot. We need to look to Nature to provide our shelter, then apply our muscle and ingenuity to erect it--always open towards the skies. I've always loved this holiday, as it mesmerized me when I was younger. The sukkah always felt cozy, and smelled of pine branches and other green things, was always festively decorated, and it was fun to eat meals in it and pray in it. I'm not sure at that age that I felt what our ancestors experienced, but as I get older, I believe I get a glimmer of their world, if I imagine it hard enough. I can look up at the dark indigo sky at night and see the same constellations. I know what it feels like to be fulfilled after toil, and see the fruits of my labors. Humbling and uplifting, giving me pause to take stock and just bask in the golden glow of a job well done.

Most of us do not live in an agricultural community, so we miss out on the cycles of nature as they pertain to the land as its cultivated by human toil and God's blessings. We may not be able to feel just what the children of Israel felt, but we can still experience the cycle of growth in our lives by the goals we set for ourselves. We plant the seeds, we nurture their growth, and after our toil and favorable conditions, we reap what those seeds have blossomed into, and we grow in the process. Our struggles to live in this world and make something of our lives while we improve the world and hone our souls is akin to the cycle of seasons that permits the goodly trees and other growing things to do their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment