Thursday, January 1, 2009

Freedom & Gratitude

Here in America, it is the 4th of July. It is our Independence Day. Many countries celebrate their own Independence Day. They are honoring the fact that whatever force that held them down is no longer controlling them and they can be free. Free to make their own decisions, however these decisions play out.

I know we in this country take our freedom for granted. We are born into it (many of us) and don't realize the true price for being able to say and do pretty much what we want, as long as we don't physically or otherwise harm another individual. I've known some people who immigrated here, and do not take our freedoms for granted at all. They worked very hard to attain citizenship, and they know what it's like to not have the power to exercise their freedom to do as they wish.

Our freedom is not free. There are many people all over the world who hate America and perhaps think of us as spoiled children, and sometimes we act that way. But, being able to express ourselves in almost infinite ways lends itself to being a bullseye for other less free people. They view our excesses and wish to condemn us, saying we are evil. When we have to defend ourselves in order to maintain our freedoms, that's when we realize that freedom costs us. For some, it costs them their lives.

This weekend, I am going to be doing the usual celebrating with cookouts and fireworks, friends, and music. But, I'll also be praying gratefully for the life I have and the endless freedoms that I enjoy. No one is standing over me, telling me what I have to wear, think, do, or say. If I get an idea in my head to do something, I can accomplish it with some hard work and I'll grow in the process. Freedom means growth and evolving, becoming more of my self. Without it, I stifle and die.

No comments:

Post a Comment