Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hineni, Sh'viti

There are 2 Hebrew words that guide my life: Hineni and Sh'viti.
Hineni means Here am I. It's what Abraham said to God when he was preparing to offer his only son Isaac as a sacrifice as a test of his pure faith in HaShem. Hineni implies that you and HaShem are united as a force.... no expectations, no ego, be-ing in the present moment in the exact place and time you are. I say that word to myself often during the day, especially when I find myself drifting and not focusing on where I am. If you are lucky enough to remember your dreams, think about the state you are in while in a dream--you are completely focused on what is happening at the moment. What if you could live your life as you do in a dream? Completely focused, letting things unfold, taking action where appropriate, being in the flow. In the Here and Now.

Sh'viti means I put God always before me. The verse "Sh'viti Hashem l'negdi tamid" means I put Hashem in the forefront of my mind. There is a kind of mandala used by Kaballists that is meditated upon to put one in that frame of mind, to put one in the compassionate mode, if you will. Both of these words go together in my mind (and heart) because when I put God before me, I am in the present moment, coming into living with a compassionate heart for my self and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment