Thursday, January 1, 2009

Saying Yes to Ayin

I met alot of stressed out people this week, rushing around, multi-tasking, looking grim-faced and pressured. Is that what our lives are about? I understand people have much on their plates, maybe too much, and perhaps some re-ordering of priorities would help. It's powerful to say NO! It seems more difficult to say NO than to say YES. If I'm ambivalent about my commitment, I tell the person I have to get back to them by a certain time (usually 24 hours).

If you are feeling stressed out, here is a wonderful meditation/breathing exercise that can relieve the stress on your body, mind, and spirit. I call it the "Ayin" breath. Ayin is the 16th letter of the Hebrew alef-bet, a vowel that looks like the letter Y, and is pronounced "ah-yeen" and if it sounds like the word "eye" that is also what it means. When you practice the Ayin breath, because Ayin is a vowel that has no sound, you will notice it is only a breath. What I like about the Ayin meditation is I take the meaning of Ayin, or eye, and after I have meditated, it helps me look at my life with "real eyes" and realize what is true for me, and what is not. It helps me know when to say No or Yes to things.

Sit comfortably and breathe normally, inhaling and exhaling through your nose. Just pay attention to the inhalation and exhalation, feeling the air coming in through your nose and into your body, exhaling any stress you may feel. Do this for a few minutes.

As you are attending to your breath, ask yourself where the breath is coming from....
who is really doing the breathing.....
who is "I'.....
keep asking "who is this "I" who is breathing?
feeling ever more empty and free....
emptying yourself of stress....
opening your heart to HaShem....
the Ayin of the breath.........
energy of the universe coming into you through your breath......
breathing in the energy of ALL......
emptying yourself.........Ayin..........

No comments:

Post a Comment