Thursday, January 1, 2009

Meditation, Jewish Style

I love meditating to Jewish prayers. Sometimes, I pick out a word or two from the prayer to breathe to and meditate upon.
One of my favorites is the from the morning prayer, Elohai neshama shenatata-bi, t'hora hi. God, the Soul you have given me is Pure. I breathe in and out to the word for soul, neshama. The sounds all flow together, the n, the sh, the ma. I like to elongate the breath on the end of the word, so that "ma" is like "maaaaaa".
Then, I might go into the word "Shema" from Shema Yisroel, Adonai Elohenu, Adonai Echad. Listen (hear) Oh Israel, The Lord is our God, The Lord is One. Soul and God and Breath and Creation all swirling around me. I also like the word "Sh'viti" which means God is always before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment