Friday, May 8, 2009

Yo Mama

Sunday is Mother's Day here in the US. Personally, I think it's a ploy from the retail shops to drum up some extra business. I could participate in stimulating the economy by taking advantage of the lovely items available in nearly every kind of gift shop or department store. Or, I might grace mom with a handmade gift, or something else that helps her enjoy life. Taking her out for a nice meal, or making a donation in her name are other thoughtful ideas. But, I prefer to tell my mom (and mother in law) that I think they're special more often than once a year on a made-up holiday. And, I told my husband that I want to stay home and just relax! And not to spend money on a card, because he can tell me in person what a great mom I am to our child! He was fine with that (ha ha).

My mother is one of the reasons I'm a decent person. Her kind, loving way of raising me (and my 2 sisters) resulted in my growing into a thoughtful, considerate, and loving mother to my own child. Her lessons were many, and she fostered (and still does) a sense of peace, security, and togetherness in our family. It's difficult for me to be living so far away and not having her close at hand. The telephone doesn't quite cut it for me, so we visit a few times a year and that tides me over, most of the time.

My mother in law raised a loving, happy man who became my husband (and he's still happy!!). The lessons he learned from her, to be fair, honest, responsible, and to work hard have made him a successful person in his career, and a loving and upbeat father.

Our mothers are crucial to our well-being. Studies with young children, and young animals demonstrate how necessary maternal bonding is from the moment of birth. A youngster who has not received adequate bonding from a loving, caring presence will not have a sense of security, a clear sense of self, and will have problems with attachment later on.

If your mother is a positive presence in your life, consider yourself fortunate indeed. If you had issues with your mother, figure out what good she contributed to your life, and how her behavior helped you become the person you are today.

On another note, I came across this information in today's Dear Abby and want to share it with you: heart disease kills more women than the other top 3 causes combined. Women's symptoms are not the same as men's. It is important for women, and the ones who care about them, to know and understand the symptoms in order to receive proper and timely lifesaving care. You can request a Heart Health Kit by going to www.pueblo.gsa.gov, or call 888-878-3256, or write to Heart Health Kit, Pueblo, CO 81009.

No comments:

Post a Comment